We are recruiting again for Active Families schools!
New schools needed for our successful Sport England Lottery Funded project!
Following a successful trial by 9 schools across Manchester, Parental Engagement Network is looking for 30 more Manchester schools to benefit from this fantastic funded project for start dates in September 2019, January 2020 and May 2020.
This project is for your school if you want to:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of families at your school
- Improve children’s fitness levels and their readiness to learn
- Develop the skills of parent volunteers to support other families and the school
- Increase parental engagement and support the school’s community cohesion
- Develop a longer term sustainable model to enable families to get more active together in a fun and accessible way
- Enable families to develop positive networks and reduce isolation.
This project is aimed primarily at families from low socio-economic groups (parents whose highest qualification is GCSE, low paid workers or those on benefits). If these families are a minority at your school, we may still able to work with you but we would have to ensure that mainly the target families would access the project.
What does the project involve?
We will train a member of staff and three parent volunteers from each school as Family Activity Champions and enable them to facilitate groups of families to commit to becoming more active together, through:
- A series of fun after-school activity sessions for families of all abilities
- A free equipment pack for families to take home and use together
- A series of home activity sheets, where families are given activities or challenges to do together at home to try and increase their regular daily activity levels
- Prizes and certificates.
PEN will provide:
- A briefing for a senior leader and training for the staff supporting the project
- A complete pack of resources, support materials and tip sheets for unlimited use throughout the school
- Ongoing support and visits to the school
- Opportunities to recognise, celebrate and publicise nationally the successful outcomes at your school
- NVQ accreditation for Champions (optional)
- Network opportunities for Active Families Schools
- A reduced membership offer
If your application is successful we will need you to:
- Allocate a member of SLT to have an overview of the project and support its development including enabling recruitment, publicity, monitoring, evaluation and celebration of successful families
- Allocate one or two members of staff to be involved with the project including helping to facilitate the after school sessions at the school, supporting the Family Activity Champions and encouraging families to do the home and community activities
- Recruit appropriate parents to be Champions and support them in attending the training
- Identify and encourage targeted families to attend the sessions
- Provide a hall, gym or suitable venue for approx. 10 families to do activities immediately after school one day a week for at least 18 weeks of the year
- Ensure staff attend the briefings, training and review sessions
- Make some equipment available for sessions. e.g. balls, beanbags and bibs
- In the second year, pay a small contribution towards resources (approx. £300) out of the school’s Sports Premium funding